Day 4- To m-learn in education?

What one change would you require to adopt m-learning for your own teaching and learning?

I believe that m-learning definitely has a place in educational settings, however I do not see this being implemented in classrooms anytime soon. There are several reasons I feel this way and believe this style of learning may be better suited for smaller groups or to enhance individual learning.

Cost: For m-learning to be evident in schools, every student would need to have or purchase a device. Who would supply the money for this? Parents or the school?

Another issue is what kind of m-learning device will student’s use? Will every student use their own device? Or will every student have the exact same?

And what about Internet plans? Who will provide every student with this so that when they are home and are assigned m-learning homework, they are able to complete it?

Time: I believe for the time it may take to get every student set up and using their device, as well as monitoring them to make sure they are actually using their device for m-learning may take away from the idea of implementing this tool.

Teaching: It definitely depends what age students are and what kind of m-learning will be done. I am all for education to shift to a more technological classroom, however, we need to move at a pace where students feel they can keep up. This generation of students will be the first group to see so many changes, from SMARTboards to Ipads to m-learning. I think we need to slow down on all this technology “hype” and look at the big picture. I believe there will be a time and place for m-learning in classrooms, I just do not believe that right now the education world is ready for this shift. 

Jenaca

Posted in: Week 11: Mobiles